Art Windsor-Essex respectfully acknowledges that we are located on Anishinaabe Territory – the traditional territory of the Three Fires Confederacy of First Nations, comprised of the Ojibway, the Odawa, and the Potawatomi. Today the Anishinaabe of the Three Fires Confederacy are represented by Bkejwanong. We want to state our respect for the ancestral and ongoing authority of Walpole Island First Nation over its Territory.
Art Windsor-Essex is committed to making the gallery, its collection and exhibitions and workshops accessible to all audiences. This is a work in progress and we value feedback from the community.
The accessibility policy serves to ensure AWE’s programs and activities are welcoming and accessible, and that people with disabilities can participate in AWE’s activities in a manner that respects their dignity, and that is equitable in relation to the broader public.
Art Windsor-Essex is compliant with all regulations set forth by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We strive to make our building accessible for those with different abilities.
- All restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and we have an elevator for guests to use.
- Wheelchairs are available to borrow at our Visitor & Membership Services desk on the 2nd Floor.
- Accessible parking is available.
ASL On Demand
AWE offers on-demand ASL Interpretation for all in-person and virtual programs: guided tours, events, and workshops. If you would like to request ASL Interpretation for a program you wish to attend, contact us at least three weeks in advance of the date of the program. Please note that the availability of ASL Interpretation services may vary depending on the availability of interpreters.
In-Kind Community Space Bookings
AWE is proud to offer community bookings for small and medium non-profit organizations or community groups that need meeting spaces or to hold small events.
Interested in booking? Please fill out this application form.
Note: All booking requests are reviewed on quarterly basis. It is recommended that you submit your request no later than 3 months in advance of your event/meeting.
We love our spaces to be utilized by members of the community but we are limited by our own calendar of programming and projects. For this reason, not all requests will be accommodated.
- Service animals are welcome.
- Rest on the benches, chairs and couches available throughout the galleries.
- Strollers and children of all ages are welcome to explore AWE! Enjoy the galleries at your own pace and in the ways that best fit you and your family’s needs. Guests will also enjoy the Studio, our interactive, hands-on learning space for all ages.
- Breastfeeding is welcome throughout the Gallery.